Tuesday, October 19, 2010

ACL surgery day and recovery recap!

After 2 months of waiting, it was finally early January - Surgery Day! I remember being pretty nervous beforehand since I'd never really had major surgery before my ACL reconstruction.  My doctor and I decided to go with my patellar tendon as the graft to be used for my surgery (the hamstring tendon or a cadaver ligament were other potential options).  I had to be at the surgery center reeeeally early, was asked several times to make sure they were cutting my *left* knee, then wheeled into surgery.  I woke up several hours later in the recovery room and was told everything went well.

Me, post surgery.  I don't think the anesthesia has worn off yet...
I met with a PT back home for 1 or 2 visits, then got transfered to my PT in Madison when I moved back down there for my last semester of undergrad.  I wish I'd documented more of my PT progress from this surgery, but I do remember that it sucked.  It was so slow-going.  I also remember that Valentine's Day (February 14th, approx 1 month post surgery) was the first day I walked to class without my crutches.  That was a good day.  By the end of May, I was able to play slow pitch softball, sand volleyball and golf.  I was happy to be 'back in action' for the summer.  

No comments:

Post a Comment