Wednesday, November 3, 2010

Back at it

Yesterday was one week after surgery and I went to class and work and to a talk for a labmate! I was gone from about 8:30am til 2:30pm and was exhausted when I got home.  It's amazing how much work it was to crutch across the street to class.  I'll definitely be happy once I can ditch the crutches :)

I drove my car for the first time today (which was great!), but it was to drive my Mom back to the airport to send her home to Wisconsin :( She was ridiculously helpful in the week that she was here.  When we were planning and talking about how long she'd come over for, I thought there was no way I'd need her to be here for a week, but boy was I wrong! I can't say how helpful and wonderful it was to have her here.  I'm feeling much more up to tackling things on my own now, but that wasn't the case just a couple days ago.  It's impressive just how much progress you can make in just a day or two.

I realized while answering the question of 'How's it going?' for the umpteenth time today, that I really don't know how it's going.  I'm a scientist, therefore I like numbers and data.  I haven't been to the physical therapist yet, so I don't have any idea about my range of motion (ROM) in number form.  Last time I had knee surgery, every time I went to the PT they took measurements of my ROM in degrees, and I'd work hard just to get another degree or two of bend in my knee.  Right now, I know I can bend my knee past 90 degrees already (which actually took me a substantial amount of time last time, I think because of the patellar tendon they harvested from the front of my knee), but I don't know how far I can actually go, or how it compares to other patients that are 1 week out from ACL surgery with an allograft.  Because of this, I'm really looking forward to my Dr. appointment on Friday.  Hopefully I'll get my stitches out and I'll get some PT appointments set up.  I'm ready for it, I'm ready for some rehab! :)

3 comments:

  1. Best wishes to you. May your recovery be speedy. I hope you are up and going again before you know it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad all seems to be going well. That first week was the hardest for Brianna. I can't remember her numbers but I remember helping her "bend" her knee back .... the Dr. had me help push it back for her. Sending healing wishes your way!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Krista, glad I was able to be there to help you out. You did great! Hardly any drugs too!!

    ReplyDelete