Thursday, November 11, 2010

PT starts tomorrow!

I have been waiting for tomorrow since last Friday! Tomorrow is PT daaaaaaay! :)

If you can't tell, I'm pretty excited.  I've been making some good progress on my own.  I can walk around the house and the lab without crutches, and if I'm going outside or down the hall, I've been using just one crutch.  My pain hasn't been too bad either, I haven't been taking any pain meds regularly, which is pretty good! Buuut, I'm ready for someone else to tell me some new exercises I should be doing and to push me a little.  I'm used to having a coach and being told to do stuff, I like it that way :)

The plan for PT is that I have three 30 minute appointments per week for 2 months.  I did do some PT work with a therapist at the end of last summer before I was convinced I needed to have this surgery, and I liked him a lot.  My surgeon also seemed to think pretty highly of him, but after my appointment last Friday when I got the go ahead and make a PT appointment, I was told there was a 2 week wait to get in to see the guy I'd worked with before! I found another place on campus to go to that had just a week wait, so that's where I'm going tomorrow.  I kept my other appointment with the other therapist juuust in case I don't like the PT I'm going to tomorrow :)

The appointment for tomorrow is just an 'evaluation' appointment, so I hope to have a nice conversation with Nancy (my PT) about when I can expect to be able to do certain things.  I actually got some paperwork in the mail I have to fill out and among the papers is one called 'The Patient-Specific Functional Scale'.  It says I'm supposed to 'identify up to three important activities (their bolding and underlining, not mine! :) that you are unable to do or are having difficulty with as a result of your current problem/diagnosis/surgery'.

WHAT?!?!?!
ONLY THREE?!?!
ARE THEY CRAZY???

After I stopped hyperventilating and calmed down a bit, I filled in the three spaces as follows:

1.  Walk without limping
2.  Run/Bike/Swim
3.  Softball/Volleyball/Golf/RockClimbing

Do ya think that'll fly?? :) Hopefully Nancy doesn't get too mad about all my slashes :)

1 comment:

  1. hahaha I'd love to see their face when they read that. What are you like?

    ReplyDelete